7.20.2007

Summer Reading

I've been reading a ton of books this summer. Most of them are Meg Cabot books, so the other day in the bookstore I thought I should broaden my horizons and read a more adult book. I chose a book called Dairy Queen which I found in the new fiction section. I was all psyched about my purchase and got in line to buy it when my sister came over and told me she had looked at the same book in Young Adult fiction and thought it would be good and was glad I was getting it. So much for getting a more mature novel.

Anyhow, the basic plot is as follows:

Young girl fails all classes because she's working on her family farm and she's the only one who works on it. Boy comes over to help her work because if he doesn't he loses place on football team. She begins to coach him in football. He does football exercises while she drives tractor.

Or, you know, something along those lines. It sounds really strange, but actually it's pretty good.

Seriously, a lot of the best books you read sound really strange when summed up in such a way. In honor of the soon to be released, let's examine Harry Potter in the same way:

Young boy hates family, realizes he's from another community. Evil man wants to kill him but can't, so gets mad and kills many others instead. Young boy hates world, hates having friends and family killed. What will happen? Oh my. Also features wonderful subplot with other wand-bearing outcasts in same community.

It just reeks of success, doesn't it!

2 Comments:

At 7/20/07, 10:21 PM, Blogger Mila said...

i love your blog. i'd like to put your link on mine, although it's german, but i think my readers can understand - and love - your blog. just say "ok" ;)
by the way, didn't you want to change the name of your blog? since you're not in france anymore...

 
At 7/22/07, 11:09 PM, Blogger Meghan said...

Hi! It's fine by me if you put a link to it. Thanks for asking! I wish I read German, but sadly I don't or else I would check out your blog as well. ;-)

I was going to change the name of this blog... I still am, I just need to get around to it. Something in the soonish future it will be: "La Vie en Oui"... this name is, of course, for no good reason!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home