1.10.2009

Middle of the Road

Today I was sending an email to my new guitar teacher* in response to one I was sent, and I wanted to just say, "Thanks for the information and I'll see you Thursday" but was stumped when I got to the end of the sentence by punctuation frustrations. Let's examine my options:

Thanks for the information and I'll see you Thursday -
This is clearly out because I don't have anything else to say - that's the end of the sentence. Next option...

Thanks for the information and I'll see you Thursday?
What? This makes me sound confused and timid, and really there's nothing to be confused about. Moving on...

Thanks for the information and I'll see you Thursday.
This could work, but it makes my sentence sound too formal. I want to sound enthusiastic about my classes, because I like them and look forward to them.

Thanks for the information and I'll see you Thursday!
This makes me sound overenthusiastic and a bit ditsy in my opinion, and I overuse exclamation points as it is.

So what's a girl to do? I needed a sort of go between, something that shows positivity and enthusiasm but in an understated, calm sort of way. Aha:

Thanks for the information and I'll see you Thursday. :-)
Eureka! The smiley face, perfect in-between to show subdued peppiness. Now if only it had a professional air about it all my life problems would be solved.

*That's right, I switched my guitar class so I could take a 4 hour programming class on Tuesday nights. Let's pray the class does not consume my soul!

2 Comments:

At 1/18/09, 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My idea of a good reply would be: "Thanks for the information! See you Thursday."

By using not only an exclamation point but also a period, you are giving the idea of excitement, but not too much to throw the teacher off. Also, an emoticon would still have been appropriate somewhere in the email.

Or there is: "Thanks for the information- see you Thursday!"

I am a big fan of hyphens, it's true.

 
At 1/19/09, 10:25 AM, Blogger Meghan said...

Good call, Sarah! Where were you when I was writing this email? Hmmm...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home