1.02.2009

So, It's A New Year

This year I rung in the first of 2009 by getting a good night's sleep. That's right - I turned off the ringer on my phone and went to sleep at 9:30 (pm), party animal that I am.

I feel like for most people it's customary to reflect on the year past but I am not going to do that (this year, I'm just glad that it's over). Instead I'm going to actually make some resolutions. Normally I don't make resolutions because often times you end up beating yourself up when you don't keep them. This year, however, I want to make some serious life changes and so I am going to put them here (partly so I don't forget, and partly because sharing these resolutions forces me into some sort of accountability). So here goes:

1. No more online dating, period. This means no more browsing, no more reading messages, and certainly no meeting people from online, EVER. I sort of justified online dating because I thought I didn't have a coeducational network of friends to pick and choose from. As much as I hate to admit it, my mother was right when she said that I should work on creating a better network of friends. Online dating has produced terrible results in every instance, and to top it all off, it's downright embarrassing to admit to your friends and family.

2. I need to be a healthier person. Lots of people look at me and assume I am healthy because of my build, and if that's not the world's biggest assumption I don't know what is. I need to start eating vegetables and fruit and making more meals at home. This shouldn't be too hard because the thing is I actually LIKE vegetables and fruit and cooking! I don't know why I don't do it more often. I also need to start exercising. Walking is great, but let's get serious.

3. I need to spend more time at school. I have tons of ideas for really cool projects to do with my students. I really want to be a good teacher, but I think doing so requires just a little bit more time than I've been allowing for. This semester I really want 3 of my classes in particular to change from so-so to outstanding. My students deserve that, and it will make me feel good, too.

4. It's time to volunteer. I loved volunteering with Brittany and it's time to start that back up. I really want to find a regular volunteer position to get me out of my apartment and involved in the NY community somehow. I don't need to list all the ways that volunteering is amazing - if you don't already get it it's a waste of time to explain it to you.

5. I've got to distance myself from technology. I spend all day working on the computer and while I love my job, when I go home I want to have a break from the computer screen. My eyes have been twitching for months now and it's only a matter of time before I have a seizure, I swear to God. So instead of staring at screens, I am going to explore neighborhoods, meet up with friends, take classes or do some reading. Clean my room. Cook. Anything but stare at the computer.

So that's the basics of how I want to change. There are many more things I'd like to do, but I think I'm going to start there.

Happy New Year everyone! I hope your resolutions go well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home