11.20.2008

"Of Course" to Vexations

The other night at 10:00 pm I heard someone ringing our buzzer. I usually ignore this sort of evening interruption on the assumption that it is just drunken rabble-rousers attempting entry into our building. However, the buzzing turned into knocking, and I realized I should probably get the door.

When I opened it, I was greeted by my neighbor and her small daughter standing in the hallway. She had just come by to tell me that my heater was broken and was making a small ocean in her daughter's bedroom. To this I simply replied, "Of course it is." She looked at me strangely (she no doubt misinterpreted my meaning and was probably wondering why I hadn't done anything about the problem even though I knew about it) and I asked her if it was the heater in my bedroom... the one under the window that won't shut. (And what do you know, of course it was.)

Of course. Because that is how my life has been panning out since September.

Let me review... we found cockroaches when we moved in to our apartment and had to do a lot of caulking. We finished that and the refrigerator broke... twice. Our dryer didn't get hot. Two days before I discovered bed bugs in my bed the washing machine decides it won't drain. Once the bed bugs are taken care of, we discover an infestation of water bugs in the kitchen. As I mentioned, my window won't close. Our bathroom sink doesn't drain, and the pipe underneath has developed a leak. And let me tell you, my problems aren't limited to just the apartment (I'll spare you, stranger, the details... though I will add that tonight, for example, I ordered two avocado rolls and a miso soup and they brought two eel-avocado rolls, hold the miso soup... of course).

Someone recently told me that if it weren't for my bad luck, I'd have no luck at all... this is a statement that is sad, but embarrassingly true. So it came as no surprise to me that my heater was broken. Really, the only reaction I could muster was, "Of course." That's just life for me these days.

On the plus side, I think I'm over the crying phase. Recently I'm finding my debacles quite comical, actually. That's why I've decided to write about them here - I am sure that someone someday will read this information and go, "Wow, it really could be worse." Hopefully soon I'll be one of those people. :-)

If you feel like you need to commiserate, please... I'm all ears.

1 Comments:

At 11/21/08, 11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is super sucky. On the plus side, I can sum up the rest of my life with two words: Twilight Movie.

Now you can cross off chatting with sister on your list. Because after you hear it a thousand times, it might be a little dull. Think of all the FREE time you'll have, not talking about Twilight. Or Robert Pattinson. Or Kirsten Stewart. Or the kid from Beautiful People who plays Jasper. Or the kid from Stick It who plays Emmett. Or the lady from Grey's Anatomy who dated Alex and turned loco who plays Esmée. Need I go on?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home