6.13.2008

When Making A 2-Minute Phone Call Is Simply Too Taxing

I saw an ad on Facebook today for a company called Seamless Web. The service that they offer is online ordering from restaurants in cities. For example, let's say you have a hankering for your favorite sushi but you can't be bothered to take two minutes to call it in. Instead, you can just fill out the online form stating where you live, search through the sushi restaurant listings to find the one you want, enter in what you'd like to order as well as all your credit card information and call it good. I'm a fast typer, so I could do this in maybe 5 minutes.

Call me crazy, but ordering your food online seems like so much more of a hassle than just picking up the phone and making a quick call. I'm filing this web site into the "pointless use of technology" category, along with the site I found the other day that provides you with the current time (the site got the time from your computer, and quite frankly if you have to use a web site to see what time your computer thinks it is, well... I have no words).

Now, if you want an example of an awesome web page, check out What Be My IP. I was just thinking about how cool it would be if that site actually existed, and what do you know, it does.

By the way, if anyone can explain the correlation between the name of Seamless Web's site and the service they provide, please let me know. I'm not making the connection.

1 Comments:

At 6/13/08, 10:05 AM, Blogger sasha said...

so, I'm bored and I have a few theories.

1. for people who already order their food online, this is more convenient: this will probably not surprise you at my company full of nerds, my office mates order food online fairly often. now they don't have to go to an individual restaurant's page to do it. they can just go to the same website every time. also, if you're in a large group and everyone wants different types of food, it would be somewhat easier to order from a few different restaurants at once.

2. they let you pay by credit card: what if you want delivery but don't have any cash? usually you can't pay by credit card when someone's bringing the food to your door. also, what if you want delivery, but want to charge it to the company's credit card? now you just have to log in to your company's corporate account, and the credit card info is saved for you.

3. it could cut down on error: Whenever you're ordering Chinese for a big group, you know how it's always a challenge to get the whole order together and make sure you don't leave anyone out? And then you read the order over the phone and hope the guy on the other end writes everything down correctly? These problems are fixed if you can type the order up ahead of time and review it before you submit. It probably also makes it easier to calculate how much everyone owes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home