6.06.2008

Blackle - Save Energy While Surfing the 'Net

Many of my environmentally conscious students have mentioned to me several times that computer screens with black desktops and web pages with black backgrounds save energy. It makes sense, for sure, but I wondered if changing your whole computer aesthetic and redesigning all your web pages would really make that much of a difference.

Apparently the makers of the Blackle search engine think the effort it worth it. Blackle's search is powered by Google, but features an almost entirely black search page, and also tallies how much energy has been saved as a result of people using their web site.

I'm not ready to be rid of my signature Mac earth desktop or to completely change my color scheme on this blog but sure, I'll turn the white background black. It might not help, but it certainly doesn't hurt, right?

3 Comments:

At 6/6/08, 4:16 PM, Blogger sasha said...

I just spent about a half hour researching this because intuitively it kind of makes sense, but it also sounds like something that's plausible, but not practically true. Turns out I was kind of right. There is a savings, but mostly for CRT monitors, and a majority of people have LCD screens these days. still, the black background looks nice!

 
At 6/7/08, 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm actually using Blaxel.com

http://www.blaxel.com

maybe cause their text is a bit brigher than Blackle so I find it more gentle to my eye

 
At 8/15/08, 8:09 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

There are around 15 different versions of "black google" online. The best one I've found is
www.cleanblack.com Cleanblack is the only version that allows you to change the text colors of the google search results. Try it yourself by going to www.cleanblack.com/theme/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home