10.24.2007

Sleepless

I've been up since 3:00 this morning. That's right - 3 AM. It's now 5:50 (though the time stamp will lie - French time zone, remember?) and after sending several rambling emails, reading more of my Krakatoa book and wandering around my apartment in my underwear, I've decided to update my journal.

Yesterday was both a wonderful day and a sort of depressing day. Wonderful because my students were really good. Wonderful because I've been working on this slide show program and yesterday I made it really slick with multiple photo sets, invisibility, and organized my functions a little more appropriately. Wonderful because I got a call from one of my awesome Smith friends and I'm really looking forward to seeing her in a week or so. Wonderful because my roommate came home and I spent the whole afternoon having amazing conversations with her. Wonderful because I made a delicious dinner of crepes, chicken, onion and broccoli. Wonderful because I finished watching this documentary on the music industry that was (for silly reasons) really good.

It was sort of depressing because my mom called around 4:20 (tee hee, sorry, I'm tired and sort of delusional right now) to say that today my cat will probably be put to sleep.

That's probably the reason I can't sleep, come to think of it. Anyhow, I was just thinking about life and it occurred to me that even though I had a ton of great things happen to me yesterday (not to mention the day prior, over the whole weekend, and basically since I've come to NY), today is probably going to be dismal because of one event. It's funny how hundreds of good things can happen to you but you won't feel particularly happy... then one bad thing happens and it feels like a hundred.

I'm not meaning this to be incredibly negative or depressing (though it sort of is, now that I read it). I just hope that if you read this you'll try and focus on the good things in your life today, because I think it's too bad when one negative event makes us forget everything that is so wonderful.

3 Comments:

At 10/24/07, 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Nikita. She was a great cat, and had a wonderful life. I completely agree with you. It's sad to think that we go through life with lots of small, happy events, yet it is the sad events that hold on to us.

p.s. how do you like Krakatoa?

 
At 10/24/07, 12:08 PM, Blogger sasha said...

meghan, I'm sorry. It really sucks when a pet who's basically part of your family has to be put to sleep. Anyway, good luck with today, and I think you're on the right track with focusing on the happy things. It probably doesn't work too well when there's a major sad thing happening, but in general, most days have good good parts and bad parts, so you might as well try to dwell on the good ones.

 
At 10/24/07, 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But Meghan, have you heard the news? NIKITA WILL BE FINE!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home