10.13.2007

Religion

I just read this article about a Catholic priest who was suspended because he was gay.

Lately I've been having a lot of interesting discussions with people about religion and I've decided that, often times, religion breaks my heart.

I was speaking with someone the other day who asked me if I believed in God. I said sure, because though I don't go to church or practice religion so you'd notice, I was raised a Christian and I think at the end of the day, I believe in some higher power. I let it slip, however, that in my church when they pray to Jesus I never do - on my rare praying occasions, I pray to God. Only. She told me that I can't have a relationship with God without going through Jesus. I'm sorry, but what? I simply can't, don't and won't agree with that.

Another subject in religion that really makes me mad is the idea that homosexuality is wrong. Many cite the Bible as the source for this belief because if it's in the Bible, then clearly it's law. I never really understood how people can take the Bible so seriously. I mean, for practically every time the Bible states that one thing is wrong, a few chapters later you'll read about the same behavior portrayed in the opposite light. When a book is so contradictory, how can you take everything it states so seriously? Also, the Bible was written thousands of years ago... how is it not possible to consider the ideas as somewhat outdated in this day and age?

I also hate hearing about how if you don't accept God into your life and accept your inner Christian, you're going to be damned to hell for all eternity, but that's more of a discussion than I feel like typing now.

Anyhow, the point of this ranting is that I just wish people across the board could be more accepting of other people. Strict religion often prohibits understanding and acceptance, which I guess I'm actually ok with (if it really must be that way). Religion also inhibits tolerance, though, and that I simply can't accept. It is intolerance that saddens me and causes me to become more and more turned off of religion. If being a Christian means passing judgement on other people and their chosen lifestyles, then I want none of it.

1 Comments:

At 10/15/07, 12:13 PM, Blogger sasha said...

not only was the bible written thousands of years ago, it was compiled over thousands of years, and depending on who had political power at a given time, different portions got changed, or added, or left out. that's what I don't get. the bible was clearly written by people, so why act like it came directly from god and *must* be infallible?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home