1.08.2008

Let's Talk About FOOD

Tonight my friends have gone to watch the NH primaries (or some debates? What?) in a sports bar. Since I am from NH I suppose I should have gone as well, but I just can't muster enough caring to dig myself out of the apathy I feel towards everything political/important. I wish I was more politically inclined, but I am not. So there.

Anyhow, since everyone I know is doing something important with their life tonight I decided I would make my own personal contribution to the world by taking pictures of food on my cell phone and posting about it in my blog (hey, I never said anything about making a positive contribution...).

First, let's talk Korean beverages. If you have never tried these little Korean dessert/breakfast drinks, you better hop to it. They are so good! The best way I can think of to describe the taste would be like the liquid form of candy necklaces mixed with powdered milk (don't gag, it's good - I swear!). I can't really read the ingredients (being in Korean and all), but it doesn't take a genius to know they are pure sugar. Delight!

Second, my sister and I bought a very good bottle of wine the other day. I had been lamenting the fact that there was no good Beaujolais to be found in the US. Since Beaujolais is my soup wine of choice I was really sad about this. So Sarah and I went to a fancy wine store and paid a pretty penny for a good bottle and it was totally worth it! We made soup with it and life was good.

The other day, inspiration struck me! I eat canned soup all the time and while it is delicious, it lacks a little je ne sais quoi. Short story shorter, I have been adding wine to my canned soup and it is very good. I definitely recommend this technique to those wishing to spice up an ordinary meal, or those who are simply looking for one more excuse to imbibe some alcohol.

Third, I'm a huge tea drinker and this past week at the grocery store they were having a huge sale on tea and so now I have the best-stocked tea cupboard in the city. I bought a new kind of tea called Darjeeling Tea, and I swear life wasn't complete before I knew about this tea. It's lovely and delicate (if you can say that about tea) and I'd recommend it to anybody with a pulse (though the fact that you like tea would also probably be helpful).

Finally, my high school advisor sent me the nicest email and included a recipe for cheese grits! I was so excited, because recently I have completey fallen in love with the food (if the food pyramid were based on my diet, grits would occupy the big bit at the bottom) and I can't wait to try out the recipe. In fact, I went to the grocery today to get the ingredients only to realize I left the list at home (yes, I know) so I will have to report on how they turn out once I have assembled everything that I need.

For those of you who have ever had the pleasure of tasting my advisor's cooking, you'll know that everything she makes is amazing! This grit recipe is her mother's, but I am sure it will be good. Hopefully she won't mind that I'm sharing it with you right now:

1 c grits
1 t salt
4 c water

Cook grits in all that til done (the grits package will tell you how).

1 stick butter, diced
1/4 # Velveeta
1/4 # sharp cheddar, grated
3 eggs
1/3 c milk

Stir all this into the grits til melted and smooth.

Pour into buttered 1.5 qt. casserole and bake at 350 for an hour.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home