11.29.2007

High Heels

The other day I was walking to work from the subway like I do every day. It was drizzling a little bit and so the whole world seemed quieter (or maybe softer?) than it normally does.

There is one large street I need to cross which is 6 lanes of traffic. Since it is so wide, the walk light is fairly long. Since the walk light is fairly long, you have to wait a while for it to come up. As a result, people crowd to the edge of the sidewalk waiting for the walk light to turn white.

There was a lull in the traffic, so everything was really quiet (for New York, anyhow). Then the walk light changed, and everyone started walking at once. All I could hear was the rain and the clicking of high-heeled shoes.

I couldn't help but smile, because it's such a pleasant sound.

1 Comments:

At 12/6/07, 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny what sounds we like and dislike. For instance my dad hates the sound of high heels. Also, most people hate the sound of nails of chalk board. It never bothered me. I don't particularly like it, but it's not unpleasent.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home