11.16.2007

Computer Tragedy, Bouncing Back

Imagine you were an English teacher and you had been working on lesson plans all year. You spent hours writing the lesson plans out, painstakingly gathering page numbers of interest and passages for analyzing. Now imagine all your lesson plans were burned.

Luckily, you keep photocopies. Unfortunately, a few days prior you lost all your photocopies in a freak gust of wind, so your backup is gone.

As if life weren't bad enough, now imagine all your teaching materials were burned as well - all your books with all your notes, gone.

And to finish it off, let's say you had been an amazing teacher and had not only created assignments, but completed several samples of what an acceptable finished product might be. But unfortunately all those samples were lost in the fire, too.

Oh yeah, plus you lit the match.

That's what happened to me this week - I deleted all my lesson plans (plus examples, demos, not to mention programs I had been working on for future reference) accidentally, and of course my backup was screwed up. Go me.

However, I'm actually not too upset (I was for about three hours after the fact, but not so much anymore). I've gotten pretty good at using this programming language and it is not taking me too much time to recreate programs that initially took me weeks. Plus I have learned a lot about the learning styles of my students, which is an unexpected positive.

Apart from my minor meltdown, this week has been good. Two of my classes were canceled today and twice this week my class with one student in it did not meet because the student has been out. This afforded me a ton of time to get work done. I also had some wonderful evenings with my roommate... hanging around on my new couch... I got honked at the other day while I was walking down the street (hey, at least *someone* thinks I'm hot, and I'll take what I can get)... I saw Borat (so funny)... I got some awesome emails from awesome people (I'm going to respond I promise!!!)... and I've got plans for the weekend.

Plus it's almost Thanksgiving. And I love mashed food!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home