11.07.2007

Gmail Is Changing

Has anybody else noticed that the title when you log in is different? Or that the word "Loading" as you log in is bolder and moved in from the edge of the page more? Or that the storage space counter on the main page is going up like crazy? Curious.

My friend Rachel asked me a mind boggling question tonight on the phone - assuming that when you think to yourself (in your head) you think in the language you were taught, how do you think deaf people think? If they've been deaf all their lives then their language has no sound, so what is "thinking to themselves" like? We both agreed that it's probably visual somehow, but still, I thought it was an interesting question. So yeah, Rachel gets the awesome card today.

I'm making a brick game in my programming class. The concept is easy, but the syntax is killing me. Three days and all I can get the ball to do is move 5 pixels every time you click it. Stupid Revolution. (On the plus side, my graphics ROCK! I'm a Photoshop genius.)

3 Comments:

At 11/8/07, 10:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY! I got an Awesome Card! I asked my dad the same questions, and of course he had an answer. I won't go into it in depth here, but the point is that they think in both visual images and through the senses. Interestingly enough my dad thinks in a language form, but also in a visula form, so it was easy for him to relate.

 
At 11/8/07, 5:55 PM, Blogger sasha said...

is it a game where you have a lot of bricks and a ball and you have to move the paddle back and forth to bounce the ball off of so it hits the bricks and scores points? I remember having to code something like that in one of my very first programming classes! such a pain, but so cool when it was done. it's a great feeling to actually make a *game*. and pretty much a billion times more interesting than those asinine programs to calculate change or output a calendar that you typically get in programming course. good luck!

 
At 11/8/07, 8:39 PM, Blogger Meghan said...

Rachel - any dad who reads books about the history of salt (or whatever) has got to have some pretty intriguing thoughts - I'm not surprised your dad is such a genius - clearly it runs in the family!

Sasha - it is indeed just that sort of game! I feel so behind in terms of programming games (or anything with graphics, really) because the school I teach at does AMAZING games and graphics apps, and all my experience is with words, string manipulations and whatnot. This whole gaming thing is completely foreign to me, and actually a TON OF FUN! I think I've mastered this programming language almost, so that's good. And my game is *almost* working! Yay.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home