10.27.2007

Helvetica: A Documentary Film

I really want to see this film. I love fonts, and I think I'd like to watch an entire film about them.

No need to say it, I already know.

(As an aside, one of my favorite creation stories has nothing to do with evolution or God, but rather the font Optima. Hermann Zapf - as in Zapf Dingbats - created the font by putting all the fonts he liked on top of each other and tracing the resulting outline. Pretty cool, huh? I can't find anything that confirms this - it's something my dad told me. I don't much care if it's true or not, I think it's a cool idea. Here's what the font looks like.)



Bonus Font Video: Broadway makes my heart pitter patter! I think the font of our generation should be Frutiger (my personal favorite) or Myriad (the standard font used in the Mac OS) or maybe Berkeley (a very nice font I used a lot this summer). I fear it might be something like Comic Sans, or *gasp* Papyrus, the world's worst, ugliest, most overused font.

3 Comments:

At 10/28/07, 10:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude I actually like Papyrus, but just like you think, it IS overused.

But that doesn't stop me from liking it in an occasional way. PLUS I don't really like any of the fonts you picked out.... they're so plain! But if they're for everyday use, I guess I approve.

 
At 10/28/07, 1:24 PM, Blogger sasha said...

on the subject of fonts, you should read this new york times article: http://tinyurl.com/ywds3s

 
At 10/28/07, 6:47 PM, Blogger Meghan said...

Sarah - Plain? PLAIN? Frutiger is the simplest, most elegant font I have ever seen. I love it, and it's perfect for everything! And when we're talking about universal general usage, you don't want something like... Curlz - it'll get old really quickly.

Sasha - thanks for sharing that article. I started reading it, but I need to finish it later - it looks interesting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home