5.18.2007

Politeness (and Excuse My French)

I've found that since coming back to the US I have been super polite. I usually am a pleasant person, but the rules of "politesse" in France are strict and I suppose I got used to adhering to them.

For example, if you walk into a grocery store in the US and you smile at the person working the till, that's generally enough of a hello to get your transaction started.

Now let's jetset via our imaginations over the ocean and into France. You need to say a "Hello, how are you doing today" at the very minimum to get your cashier to act civil with you (and it's best if your accent is, well, non-existant... oh, well). And don't even think about leaving goodbye without saying goodbye to the cashier, the man emptying the garbage, the woman standing at the help desk, and the man guarding the door. Wishing them a good weekend (and hey, maybe even some light conversation) is never a bad idea, either.

In short, I've become accustomed to being super polite, and it makes all my transactions incredibly pleasant. I recommed everyone get in the habit if you aren't already.

Second, let me just say that our PC computer at home is a piece of crap. That's all I have to say about that.

Third, I'm going to my five year high school reunion tomorrow. Should be fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home