5.20.2007

Hitchhikers

As I was driving home from my high school reunion today (by the way, it was fun as well as educational... I've never witnessed a drug deal in the making before!) I was thinking about what I could write about in this journal of mine. I took a lot of pictures at my favorite rest stop and thought about writing an ode to it, but I think I will save that for later because instead I saw something far more shocking/dangerous/hilarious.

Just as I was about to enter Georges Mills, I saw three boys walking backwards on the road. They could not have been older than twelve or so, and one of them was definitely eight-ish. When I got a little closer I realized they had their thumbs out and huge grins on their faces... they were trying to hitchhike! I couldn't believe it.

I once read a book where a young girl tries to hitchhike and a lady pulls over and tells her she is out of her mind and orders her into the car and drives her back to her home. I briefly thought about pulling over and telling the boys that it was super dangerous to hitchhike and that they should go home and never do it again, but two things stopped me. The less significant factor was that I live in a tiny town and chances are if I meddled it would somehow circulate and turn into me somehow being an evil person (and let's face it, I have no right meddling, even if what those kids were doing was super dangerous). The second and deciding factor for me was that I was driving on the right hand side of the road, and they were on the left, making it difficult for me to pull over.

Glad I have my priorities straight.

1 Comments:

At 5/23/07, 10:27 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

ah the good old right side of the road... always saves you. Plus you have to remember the horor stories of childhood, where the person who picks up the hitchickers is killed by them. You must keep that one in mind next time... even if they are 13-8 year old boys.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home