4.20.2007

Dayewdayuh

The best thing about my morning I think deserved a separate, more upbeat entry so here goes. What happened was one of the kids in my class asked me if he could ask a question. I said sure and he said, "Can you tell me what the word dayewdayuh means?" Call me crazy, but that's like no English word I've ever heard!

I asked him where he saw it on the handout, and he said it wasn't on the handout, just a word he knew. I started to really wonder what word he could possibly be talking about!

I asked him to spell it and he said he had been spelling it: D (pronounced "day"), U (like ew or the "ou" in "you"), D (day), E (like "uh" but with more... e?). DUDE.

I was loving the serious way he was asking the question, and I was pleased to know how to say the equivalent of dude in French (un mec, un gars, in case you were wondering). In the end he did seem sort of disappointed to hear the translation. Next week I've got to remember to ask him where he heard it.

1 Comments:

At 4/22/07, 11:12 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

That's awesome. Maybe I shoulld change my blog to "un mec looks like a lady"... or maybe not. ps. I finally posted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home