4.01.2007

Hello, world!

So I've been in New York City the past few days and I had an interview for New York City teaching fellows. The interview was, in a word, disastrous, so I am currently researching other job opportunities.

My favorite part of the whole ordeal was when the interviewer asked me what I thought teaching in a high needs school would be like, and (not wanting to totally bash the children in high needs schools across New York City) I responded by saying their level of learning is lower than standard, the students' levels across the board may vary greatly, the students are tougher and perhaps have more difficult family situations, and the testing scores are often lower than other schools in New York. The interviewer responded to this by telling me that the students are outrageous and obnoxious, with varying levels of behavioral issues, and concluded by saying that, "the high needs schools in New York City are certainly not like Miss Hall's School."

Ouch.

2 Comments:

At 4/2/07, 2:33 PM, Blogger sasha said...

your interviewer sounds like a jerk! they should be eager to have someone like you teaching, not act like you're too blind to see the advantages you've been given in life. Clearly NYC public school X != Miss Hall's, but that's sort of the point. If the schools had a bunch of students who were well behaved and on or above grade level, they'd have no problem finding teachers. But as it is, they *need* smart, energetic, idealistsic young people because no one else is willing to take the job.

 
At 4/2/07, 4:21 PM, Blogger Meghan said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence. :-) The interviewer seemed pretty ok, but that comment really got to me. While it's true that I don't have any experience with a high needs school, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. I certainly hope they won't hold my academic background against me... sure, I may be sheltered but I'm neither ignorant nor an idiot. Oh, well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home