7.11.2008

Coney Island

On the 4th of July not only did I attend what some people claim to be the best firework display in the country, but I also went to Coney Island for the first time ever and saw, in person, the Coney Island Hot Dog Eating Contest. The guy who won ate something like 64 hot dogs in 10 minutes! I was impressed. It was also really fun to be there because this year was the first time in the history of the contest that they had to go into overtime to determine a winner. I'll have to post a video clip of what the guys behind us were saying - it was wildly inappropriate but terribly funny.

Taking the train over to Coney Island is a lot of fun and is incredibly convenient to our new apartment. When the train gets close to the end of the line you can see all the rides and entertainment stretched out below you. When Brittany and I went we saw people advertising a freak show or something of the sort, and a woman was carrying a rather large live snake around her neck. We also saw tons of rides and of course had a sampling of the carnival food (I recommend the soft serve ice cream which was super delicious).

I am told that Coney Island sports one of the dirtiest beaches in all of New York and this may very well be true. However, having nothing to compare it to, I had a fun time frolicking around in the ocean (which is, by the way, freezing cold) and kicking sand at Brittany. I plan on going back there very soon with a book and an umbrella.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home