1.15.2007

I'll Have Your Little Sister

It turns out that some French men may not be as sleazy as their reputation would make us think! They might instead just be literally translating common phrases from French into English.

For example, if you go to a bar and you order a drink, when you order another drink of the same variety you'd say, "I'll have another of the same." In casual settings, the phrase to do that would be, "petite soeur*", or literally, "little sister."

Today in class I was confused as to why this kid kept talking about my sister. They eventually explained to me that it means to have another of the same, which I think is actually pretty cool.

* I might have to spelling or phrase incorrect. After all, none of my students spelled it out for me! Ah, but that's what the afternoon section is for...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home