10.30.2006

Aperitifs

Today I had a very long, arduous day that consisted of movie watching, basking in the 29 degree C weather (that's about 85 F), and bread-eating.

Normally I would post pictures of what I did, but I'll abstain for two reasons, the first being that nobody wants to see pictures of what I did, it's simply too boring. The second being that Hannah and I also made a house tour video today, and why bother with pictures when there are videos to share?!?

Uno problemo... the video is still compressing and you can't see it yet. But you have that to look forward to!

In other news, our landlady has been having a huge amount if guests here the past few days and they have been making a large amount of noise overhead. We had been speculating as to what they could possibly be doing up there... wheelbarrow racing? Feverish bouts of DDR? Irish step dancing? Tonight I found out what has been going on because we were invited up for an apéritif.

Truth be told, one of Isabelle's friends has very clicky high-heels and a small daughter of maybe only 4. We thought that was probably the cause of all the noise. HOWEVER... it turns out Isabelle's son (maybe 10-12ish) is quite the rabble rouser indeed, and so tonight we saw, in person, how he was taking all the sofa cushions and throwing them up into the loft, running up the stairs, throwing them back down, running back down, throwing them all about, etc. Hannah and I are quite convinced that he is the ultimate noise maker, but we are no longer upset by the racket because I must say we found the cushion tossing to be quite entertaining.

Tonight I learned some key phrases to use with children:
"Croques!" - Chew!
"Tu te calmes." - Calm down.
Hmm, actually those are the only two I remember... but I certainly did hear them a lot!

Anyhow, it was a fun two hours. It's always nice to be able to practice a bit of spoken French and more importantly, hear a lot of spoken French. It was also nice to be able to spend some time with some very nice kids... a little bit of a change from my lycée!* A+

*In fairness I must say the kids at my school are nice, if not a little underwhelmed with the prospect of learning English.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home